Author Topic: You make the call  (Read 15836 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HLinNC

  • *
  • Posts: 3491
  • FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: You make the call
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2021, 11:37:30 AM »
Quote
but on JV night that means finding an assistant coach

Good to know things aren't that different throughout our state.

I was WH Thursday for MS game.  My U who is normally a BJ started for the sideline for a ball after an incomplete pass.  Nobody on the sideline was paying him any attention.  I was like "Dude its middle school.  it will be faster to wait on the LJ to go get it."

Offline refjeff

  • *
  • Posts: 612
  • FAN REACTION: +22/-31
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: You make the call
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »
yep. for some reason around here they like to punt with an older ball. I don't have a problem with it as long as it's legal. We don't stop the game for it though, and if we've already put one down, we are gonna play with it. unless of course, they bring one with them and ask politely if they can trade balls for 5yds...
 LOL pi1eOn pHiNzuP :sTiR:
Because an older ball has more "give" and thus compression and they can kick it farther.

We are not going to allow a different kicking ball to come in.

I think I would have taken an officials TO to send the kicking ball back to the sideline.  No harm, no foul.

DOJ seems reasonable because that's what happened.

Offline AlUpstateNY

  • *
  • Posts: 4844
  • FAN REACTION: +344/-1000
Re: You make the call
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »
Because an older ball has more "give" and thus compression and they can kick it farther.

We are not going to allow a different kicking ball to come in.

I think I would have taken an officials TO to send the kicking ball back to the sideline.  No harm, no foul.

DOJ seems reasonable because that's what happened.
Simple solution, when a team sends a "kicking ball" ball in, and the official catching it doesn't like the way it feels, whether it was previously approved, or not, simply send it right back out, and play on with the ball on the field.

Offline PABJNR

  • *
  • Posts: 201
  • FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
Re: You make the call
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2021, 05:44:45 AM »
Some teams try to get an old beat up ball in as the kicking ball.  Which are usually a little bit slicker due to age. When I’m checking them I ask would you play offense with this ball? If they say no, I won’t approve it. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline HLinNC

  • *
  • Posts: 3491
  • FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: You make the call
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »
Quote
Some teams try to get an old beat up ball in as the kicking ball.  Which are usually a little bit slicker due to age. When I’m checking them I ask would you play offense with this ball? If they say no, I won’t approve it.

We have the same philosophy.  Any ball presented as "our kicking ball" is immediately suspect.  I will normally hand it to their QB and see if he would use it.  If he says no, it gets tossed.  if he says yes, we tell the team it has to go into their rotation of game balls and not just 4th down.