Author Topic: THANKFUL ON THANKSGIVING DAY  (Read 2474 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
THANKFUL ON THANKSGIVING DAY
« on: November 25, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
For what am I thankful?
I am thankful to have my wife by my side, today.
We left town by car early Tuesday afternoon (I was driving) to travel about 8 hours to see our son and his fiancé. About 1 1/2 away from home, while cruising at 75 mph, our car was struck from behind by another vehicle, causing us to careen off the highway, bounce through the drainage ditch, and roll over at least twice - probably 3 times - into a cotton field (the cotton had been stripped). When the car stopped rolling, we were upright, miraculously. My wife and I were both alert, and I was fully mobile (thanks to seat belts and side air bags). My wife was bleeding from a laceration on her head, but was mobile. The car was severely damaged, i.e., extensive body damage, one wheel literally snapped off, most glass shattered, and rear hatch glass completely missing. I was able to open my door, and get around to the passenger side. A samaritan opened my wife’s door, but (as we found out later) she had severely bruised ribs (thankfully, nothing broken), and not able to walk away from the car. First responders arrived quickly, and, due to her head injury, determined they needed to airlift my wife back to a trauma center in our home town. After the helicopter departed, I was able to retrieve our belongings from our car and was taken to the sheriff’s office in the nearest town, where I contacted my Umpire, who was able to come and take me back home.
Thankfully, my wife’s injuries were not life threatening or severe, and she was released mid-evening. Since then, she has been able to rest comfortably, but experiences great pain when transitioning from sitting to standing, etc. Walking is not a problem.
Thanks to wonderful friends, the two of us will be enjoying a Thanksgiving meal here at our home. We’ll FaceTime with our son, and his fiancé and her family (whom we were to meet, today).
But, I am thankful to have my best friend and soul mate sitting beside me, right now. She will fully recover, in time, and we will get back to normal. I have a playoff game Saturday, and will be ready to go.
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you. Be safe and healthy.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: THANKFUL ON THANKSGIVING DAY
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
Wow, very glad all are safe. Give her our best wishes and she is in our prayers!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
What a scare!  Glad both of you are alive, and able to be at home.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »
Wow, very glad all are safe. Give her our best wishes and she is in our prayers!

Thank you.
Robert

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
What a scare!  Glad both of you are alive, and able to be at home.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Thank you.
Robert

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »

What he said!!!    :patrioticon:

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »
What he said!!!    :patrioticon:

Thank you.
Robert

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
I hate to hear this happened, but I’m glad you and you’re wife are ok.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »
I hate to hear this happened, but I’m glad you and you’re wife are ok.

Thank you, Grant.
Robert

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 11:30:29 PM »
Glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 04:14:30 AM »
Glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

Thank you, Jason.
Robert

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »
Sounds like you we very fortunate as injuries could have been a lot worse, glad you are ok and best wishes for a speedy and easy recovery for you and your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »
Sounds like you we very fortunate as injuries could have been a lot worse, glad you are ok and best wishes for a speedy and easy recovery for you and your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.
Robert

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2021, 03:13:59 PM »
Robert,

Very sad to hear of your harrowing accident, but glad to hear that your wife and you are recovering. Rear-end collisions are nearly always the fault of the trailing driver and I hope he or she had proper coverage. It's good to hear that you'll be back on the field this weekend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

All the best,
                                                                        Ralph
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:23:23 PM by Ralph Damren »

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 06:49:42 PM »
Robert,

Very sad to hear of your harrowing accident, but glad to hear that your wife and you are recovering. Rear-end collisions are nearly always the fault of the trailing driver and I hope he or she had proper coverage. It's good to hear that you'll be back on the field this weekend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

All the best,
                                                                        Ralph

Thank you, Ralph. With all of the law enforcement folks around gathering the requisite information, I was only concerned about getting my wife the help she needed, and recovering our belongings from the wrecked vehicle (before the wrecker could haul it off!), so I didn’t check on the insurance status of the folks that caused the wreck. We’ll get that from the accident report. Our insurance company and attorney will take it from there. Not asking for some big settlement - just get us a new, comparable car, and take care of medical expenses.
But, my wife is feeling considerably better, today. It will still take some time for her to fully recover, but she will get there.
Thank you ALL for your thoughts and concerns. It is appreciated.
Robert

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 08:43:54 AM »
So thankful that everyone is ok.  Hope you had a great holiday otherwise, and hope you get another game or three this year.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:06 AM »
So thankful that everyone is ok.  Hope you had a great holiday otherwise, and hope you get another game or three this year.

Thank you, Bobby. I am 100%. My wife is still in the 50% range, but she’ll fully recover, in time.

Geography doesn’t favor those of us outside the Metroplex, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio areas. So, we are probably done.

Merry Christmas to all!

Robert