Author Topic: Players with the same number  (Read 375 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ncwingman

  • *
  • Posts: 1505
  • FAN REACTION: +79/-22
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Players with the same number
« on: September 13, 2026, 07:45:07 PM »
Have you ever had a game where two players had the same jersey number on the roster? Obviously they can't play at the same time, but they can both play in the game separately.

What would be your procedure for:
a) finding out this is happening
b) recording UNS fouls or ejections

I'm just thinking of the scenario where #17 Jones gets an UNS, but then #17 Smith gets one later and all confusion breaks out because nobody else realized there were two #17s.

This is unlikely to be an issue were I am, but I've watched some games on ESPN where there's 120 players in uniform (which is absurd because 80% of them won't be able to play)

Offline SCline

  • *
  • Posts: 151
  • FAN REACTION: +8/-2
Re: Players with the same number
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2026, 07:54:09 PM »
A) zero procedure for doing anything about this. If a coach brought it up pregame or during a game I’m sure we’d note it.
B) during the coach notification of the first UNS or ejection I’d hope he’d mention that he has two players with that same number. At which point I’d probably notify the coach that the player without the uns or ejection should change jerseys.

Offline Ralph Damren

  • *
  • Posts: 5140
  • FAN REACTION: +875/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Players with the same number
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2026, 10:17:59 AM »
Over the years, I've had ADs ask about ordering linemen's numbers as only 29 are available. I've always stressed that you can have duplicate numbers BUT advise your coach that youi can't have both in the game at the same time.

I once had a game that turned into a rout. The winning team was subing wildy near the end to get everyone in. When the game ended, a  :o wide-eyed wing ran upto me and said:

"REF, I think they MIGHT have had two number 79's in the game at the same time  :o :o !"

I responded: " IF we miss a foul, that's one that is to miss  8] "
« Last Edit: September 16, 2026, 07:15:04 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline refjimb

  • JimBLJ
  • *
  • Posts: 21
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Players with the same number
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2026, 07:11:04 AM »
Somewhat related - I had a coach ask me if there was a specific rule governing a player switching jersey numbers mid-game. I told him that I was sure there was, but once I checked the rulebook I am not sure there is something that specifically prohibits this?