Author Topic: Official with Go Pro glasses  (Read 340 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline toma

  • *
  • Posts: 111
  • FAN REACTION: +3/-1
Official with Go Pro glasses
« on: October 04, 2026, 10:01:50 AM »
It's been reported that an official in a varsity game this past weekend was wearing GO Pro glasses during the game. Coaches were NOT happy, HACKED when they found out.
Is there any restrictions to the use of Go Pro by officials?
Is this being used anywhere?  Was is approved by the state? 

Offline ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4644
  • FAN REACTION: +189/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2026, 02:27:38 PM »
It's been reported that an official in a varsity game this past weekend was wearing GO Pro glasses during the game. Coaches were NOT happy, HACKED when they found out.
Is there any restrictions to the use of Go Pro by officials?
Is this being used anywhere?  Was is approved by the state?

GoPro? All they make are floatable polarized glasses. They don’t make camera glasses. There are other manufacturers, but not GoPro. Are all the facts correct?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

  • *
  • Posts: 4238
  • FAN REACTION: +107/-383
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2026, 12:19:03 PM »
GoPro? All they make are floatable polarized glasses. They don’t make camera glasses. There are other manufacturers, but not GoPro. Are all the facts correct?


Go Pro is being used as a generic term here.  An official has been confirmed to be using video glasses with Bluetooth capability to their cell phone while officiating during a game.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline lawdog

  • *
  • Posts: 289
  • FAN REACTION: +10/-41
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2026, 12:50:46 PM »
Forbidden here.  I think everywhere as far as I recall but I know my state has been very clear on this for all sports.  no recording.

Offline ncwingman

  • *
  • Posts: 1504
  • FAN REACTION: +79/-22
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2026, 01:35:45 PM »
I'm sure the actual brand/model isn't relevant here.

There's nothing in the rule book/game officials manual that prohibits such devices explicitly, but state associations may have different rules. Nobody here can make any valid statement about whether this particular action broke any rules or was approved by the state (especially since you didn't mention which state, but even then...).

I've heard of some officials using a gopro like device to try to generate their own game film, but I would certainly discourage their use. It doesn't come across as professional, especially if you're focused on putzing with your toys instead of paying attention to the game.

Offline ElvisLives

  • *
  • Posts: 4644
  • FAN REACTION: +189/-188
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2026, 02:30:08 PM »
I'm sure the actual brand/model isn't relevant here.


It could be, if the report came from coaches that ‘assumed’ “GoPro” automatically meant video-capable, and were looking for any excuse to criticize officials.
On the other hand, if the official was, in fact, using video-capable glasses to record game action without express permission from the participating institutions and his governing/assigning organization, I would think that is something that should be prohibited, and subject to disciplinary action.
If I was part of the governing/assigning organization, I would want some irrefutable proof of this activity.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

  • *
  • Posts: 4238
  • FAN REACTION: +107/-383
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2026, 06:44:14 AM »
It could be, if the report came from coaches that ‘assumed’ “GoPro” automatically meant video-capable, and were looking for any excuse to criticize officials.
On the other hand, if the official was, in fact, using video-capable glasses to record game action without express permission from the participating institutions and his governing/assigning organization, I would think that is something that should be prohibited, and subject to disciplinary action.
If I was part of the governing/assigning organization, I would want some irrefutable proof of this activity.


1.  Incident has been confirmed
2.  Offending official has been spoken to
3.  State has issued a very clear "not acceptable" instruction to all officiating groups in state
4.  End of story
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline refjeff

  • *
  • Posts: 614
  • FAN REACTION: +22/-32
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2026, 09:50:03 AM »
I would never self-record a game I was officiating. 

As the white hat/crew chief I would say absolutely not.

Anybody else asks my opinion I would say it's a bad idea.

For a variety of reasons.

Why would coaches be "hacked" or why would anyone think written permission is required?  It's a public event.  I assume that every game is being recorded by a fan with a phone and very likely that some or all is going on the inter-web forever.

Offline ncwingman

  • *
  • Posts: 1504
  • FAN REACTION: +79/-22
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2026, 07:40:20 PM »

1.  Incident has been confirmed
2.  Offending official has been spoken to
3.  State has issued a very clear "not acceptable" instruction to all officiating groups in state
4.  End of story

I assume you have direct knowledge of this, because even the original post was very vague on even where this took place.

I don't need additional proof or anything, you're just very adamant about it.

Offline riffraft

  • *
  • Posts: 347
  • FAN REACTION: +19/-19
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:06:40 PM »
I can understand the concern about minors being recorded and possibly posted online.

However I can understand someone wanting to use camera glasses.  I assume it will record where you are looking.  I can see knowing where you are actually looking as opposed to what you see on something like Hudl could be beneficial.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

  • *
  • Posts: 4238
  • FAN REACTION: +107/-383
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Official with Go Pro glasses
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 06:22:57 PM »
I assume you have direct knowledge of this, because even the original post was very vague on even where this took place.

I don't need additional proof or anything, you're just very adamant about it.
LOL
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel