Author Topic: The Latest Filing  (Read 31964 times)

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
Re: The Latest Filing
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
As a sitting board member of a school district, it makes me cringe when I hear an AD or Superintendent say they can't do their budget because of too many financial unknowns in dealing with officials. I don't care how large or small the district is, it's an easy matter to budget for officials. I have been on our district's budget committee for the last 4 years. I know exactly what the officials that work for our district, academic and athletic, have been paid for the last 4 years. I know with some amount of certainty what the gate will be for every athletic event based on historical information and barring weather events for outdoor activities. The AD's and Superintendents who continue to say it's too difficult to budget for officials are either too lazy or not intelligent enough to be at the job position they are in.

Dr. G - 2 questions if you don't mind:

1 - What percentage of a school's athletic budget is officiating?

2 - How often do you think schools pay honestly according to 1204?  I feel like I'm being shorted according to 1204 almost all the time.  I mean its nice getting a check for $120 (especially since I'd work the game for free), but when the announced crowd is 8,000 it makes me wonder.

Thanks

Offline Dr.G

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
1. We are one of the smallest 3A schools in the state. Our District has an $11 million budget. Of the $11 million, $24,000 is budgeted for officials. The last 2 years the district has paid out just under $21,000 to officials in all sports. It's just under 2% of the budget.

2. I can only speculate based on my own game checks. In my opinion I think most schools just estimate a number or use the walk-up and pay that. I know that I have personally talked with our Superintendent and Business Manager about the way the pay for officials is figured at our District. I wanted to make sure that season and pre-purchased tickets are also factored into the gate . We have instituted very tight controls on money so as to know exactly what moneys we have received so that employees can't walk off with a little extra pay.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
So based on your post it is anecdotal evidence that "budgeting for officials" is a somewhat bogus point.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Dr.G

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 04:15:20 PM »
I think that if you looked at most school districts budgets for officials by schools playing sports, they would somewhat mirror ours.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
I would bet there is much more variability in an ISD's transportation budget due to fluctuating fuel prices.

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
1. We are one of the smallest 3A schools in the state. Our District has an $11 million budget. Of the $11 million, $24,000 is budgeted for officials. The last 2 years the district has paid out just under $21,000 to officials in all sports. It's just under 2% of the budget.

Not a big detail, but officials are only about 0.2% of your budget.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 05:05:21 PM »
Well it kinda is a big deal because that is really a small part of the budget and if schools cannot budget for officials then they are pretty inept!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »
The Galena Park ISD (where we got the quote from):  http://www.galenaparkisd.com/budget/documents/20CF4A~1.pdf

They have 165,000,000 in revenue and spend 3,700,000 on ALL co-curricular/extracurricular (obviously a huge amount of that is NOT officiating fees).  That equals 2% of their entire budget.  i can only imagine what miniscule amount of that 3,700,000 is spent on officiating fees

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »
The Galena Park ISD (where we got the quote from):  http://www.galenaparkisd.com/budget/documents/20CF4A~1.pdf

They have 165,000,000 in revenue and spend 3,700,000 on ALL co-curricular/extracurricular (obviously a huge amount of that is NOT officiating fees).  That equals 2% of their entire budget.  i can only imagine what miniscule amount of that 3,700,000 is spent on officiating fees

^flag

Haven't worked over there at GPISD in a few years but have been drawing those two schools on the road. But the reports that we're getting is that with rare exception, a working official will get a $90.00 check, regardless of the size of the crowd; and two of the crew members will be extended portal-to-portal mileage. But the GPISD Stadium football officials locker room is really tough to beat, ranking right up there with the best of them!     z^

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
^flag

Haven't worked over there at GPISD in a few years but have been drawing those two schools on the road. But the reports that we're getting is that with rare exception, a working official will get a $90.00 check, regardless of the size of the crowd; and two of the crew members will be extended portal-to-portal mileage. But the GPISD Stadium football officials locker room is really tough to beat, ranking right up there with the best of them!     z^

That's one of the things that just continues to bother me with this whole thing.  The UIL is supposedly pushing this whole thing because chapters do not want to abide by 1204, but when schools don't they look the other way!

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 05:52:05 AM »
Is it correct that TASO has never complained to the UIL about this pay rate in Football?  That is the song I've always heard.  I've complained for years about getting screwed by schools.  Nobody listens.  I'd personally prefer a flat rate for football.  Of course, $100 is the minimum I think I'm worth...a 1A-2A game should start there.  I'd put 3A-4A at $125, and 5A at $150.  There should also be 2 full mileage allowances.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
Is it correct that TASO has never complained to the UIL about this pay rate in Football?  That is the song I've always heard.  I've complained for years about getting screwed by schools.  Nobody listens.  I'd personally prefer a flat rate for football.  Of course, $100 is the minimum I think I'm worth...a 1A-2A game should start there.  I'd put 3A-4A at $125, and 5A at $150.  There should also be 2 full mileage allowances.

^flag

In my honest opinion, that's one of the primary reasons that the UIL really wants to embrace the National Federation. Way too many of the Federation states adhere to the flat fee including mileage structure. And granted that, with rare exception, that the game gates in those states should come anywhere remotely close to those here in Texas, if the UIL places such a fixture in any subsequent 1204, then that would become a "windfall" for them; despite the fact that in doing so, they aren't really saving that much money as outlined in their "budgets" for officials pay. Given that, I can't help but feel that it all really boils down to nothingmore than a power and control issue solely on the part of the UIL.   z^

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 07:53:32 AM »
I see a lot of guys who spend a tremendous amount of time, energy, and money to be able to work a $90 JUCO game.  The flat rate works at every other level?

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
For the same reason why you need to turn the scale around.  Pay $100 at a 5A and then take it up from there.  Most guys would rather do a good game without traveling far, regardless of the school size.  Make them travel to do a 'less good' game and reward them more.  Many guys will take less for JUCO and D-III because they see that as way to "move up".  No need to pay them as much.  In a perfect and free capitalistic market we could all barter with the schools and get whatever the market will bear.  We all know the mass chaos that would create in HS sports so we agree to take some restrictions on capitalism for "the good of the cause".

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:09 AM »
I am the last person to defend budgeting practices from school districts but I do understand what their issue is.  The problem is for the sub varsity and Jr. Hi games not varsity (The districts should have zero issues with a varsity gate.  HI attendance= more money for ISD= more money for officials it sounds like a win win to me no budget issues).  Lets take a big district with 25 Jr. Hi's.  If the fees move up from $30 a game to $40 a game that is a 33% increase.  So if I have a 7A/B and 8A/B that plays 8 games each half home half away 3 officials that is an INCREASE of 3*16*10= 480 per school just for football officials.  You take on top of that the other sports (VB basketball) at the Jr. Hi level and it is easy to see that each Jr. Hi has to come up with an additional $1000 for officials just at the Jr. Hi level.  School budgets are set in February of the previous year.  Now the AD's have to go and ask for another 25K for officials.  Small districts with only 1 Jr. Hi only have to ask for 1000 which is an easier pill to swallow.  Plus small town Jr. Hi. games have a lot better paying attendance then big ISD's (I once did a Dayton jr hi game with easily 2000 people at it) and that money is not as regulated as big ISD's if you know what I mean.

Solution:
In January of every year each TASO chapter negotiates with the ISD's about what they are going to pay.  What ever the answer is publish it to the membership and let them decide who they will independently contract with.  Any deviance with this policy should result in severe punishment from both sides.  If a school does not pay what the market rate is then they may not have officials it is not TASO's fault the ISD's should raise their rates or make their schools more attractive to call games at.  It is not all about money when calling Jr. Hi games some things that ISD's could do to make their school more attractive to officials at a below market rate are:
Have water available
pay cash on the spot

play 2 games on one date instead of driving all the way out there for 1 game (principals claim they only want to play 1 game because of lights on the field, and to get the kids home to study/sleep on a school night which I understand)

Varsity coach only picks crews that call his games.  (It amazes me why coaches do not do this more.  My U, LJ, R, and 6man try to work every Thursday together for the past 5 years.  We only call the 4 schools closest to our house.  We just rotate between those 4 and 3 out of 4 of them are in the same district.  I was picked for 14 games this year which on paper puts me in the top 25% of crews in the Houston Chapter.  I have never called any of the 4 schools that I religiously call sub varsity for).

Like many of the other posts on here it is not about money.  It is about professionalism and being appreciated.  The ISD's could pay a lot less if they just acted with a bit of respect towards us.  The budgeting issue is a big ISD problem not a small ISD problem.

SETXREF

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »
I agree Coby.  We have a school our chapter services that pays $40 cash for Sub Varsity games.  I'd much rather that and forgo the milege verses having to go to the bank to cash a check.  I'll never argue with that.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
We call varsity games out of my chapter for a 1A school about 25 miles from the Mexico border and about 100 miles from the chapter's city.  All season, they have been paying crews $45 for every varsity game, even though the stands are full.  A $45 check would mean they had gate receipts of less than $150.  How is this possible even when only 500 people show up to the game? (And that estimate is very much on the low side).  When the officials called and asked the Accounts Payable office, they were told that the coach told them to pay that much. 

Wait a minute.  Isn't there supposed to be an accounting of the gate?  This school is obviously cheating the officials, but do you think the UIL cares? 

Offline Coby

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
If anything this UIL incident shows that they do not care about policing their own only about making officials accountable.  TASO must implement policies that are good for TASO.  The days of doing what is best for the schools and unfortunently the kids are DEAD.  That is the lesson that TASO leadership at every level must learn from this ordeal.  I learned it...I learned it really well.  My suggestion is to not call any more of those games until they fix the problem.  My suggestion is to file open records request on the district.  File a lawsuit. 

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
I am the last person to defend budgeting practices from school districts but I do understand what their issue is.  The problem is for the sub varsity and Jr. Hi games not varsity (The districts should have zero issues with a varsity gate.  HI attendance= more money for ISD= more money for officials it sounds like a win win to me no budget issues).  Lets take a big district with 25 Jr. Hi's.  If the fees move up from $30 a game to $40 a game that is a 33% increase.  So if I have a 7A/B and 8A/B that plays 8 games each half home half away 3 officials that is an INCREASE of 3*16*10= 480 per school just for football officials.  You take on top of that the other sports (VB basketball) at the Jr. Hi level and it is easy to see that each Jr. Hi has to come up with an additional $1000 for officials just at the Jr. Hi level.  School budgets are set in February of the previous year.  Now the AD's have to go and ask for another 25K for officials.  Small districts with only 1 Jr. Hi only have to ask for 1000 which is an easier pill to swallow.  Plus small town Jr. Hi. games have a lot better paying attendance then big ISD's (I once did a Dayton jr hi game with easily 2000 people at it) and that money is not as regulated as big ISD's if you know what I mean.

Solution:
In January of every year each TASO chapter negotiates with the ISD's about what they are going to pay.  What ever the answer is publish it to the membership and let them decide who they will independently contract with.  Any deviance with this policy should result in severe punishment from both sides.  If a school does not pay what the market rate is then they may not have officials it is not TASO's fault the ISD's should raise their rates or make their schools more attractive to call games at.  It is not all about money when calling Jr. Hi games some things that ISD's could do to make their school more attractive to officials at a below market rate are:
Have water available
pay cash on the spot

play 2 games on one date instead of driving all the way out there for 1 game (principals claim they only want to play 1 game because of lights on the field, and to get the kids home to study/sleep on a school night which I understand)

Varsity coach only picks crews that call his games.  (It amazes me why coaches do not do this more.  My U, LJ, R, and 6man try to work every Thursday together for the past 5 years.  We only call the 4 schools closest to our house.  We just rotate between those 4 and 3 out of 4 of them are in the same district.  I was picked for 14 games this year which on paper puts me in the top 25% of crews in the Houston Chapter.  I have never called any of the 4 schools that I religiously call sub varsity for).

Like many of the other posts on here it is not about money.  It is about professionalism and being appreciated.  The ISD's could pay a lot less if they just acted with a bit of respect towards us.  The budgeting issue is a big ISD problem not a small ISD problem.

Wrong solution -- this is what the UIL has a problem with.  The solution is to get paid the 1204.  I agree that we should not have individual chapters negotiating rates.  Let the schools pay according to 1204.  No budget issues -- which is why this is a red herring issue.  If the 1204 rate is not enough, officials will not call.  But, again, UIL does not need to register officials to make this happen.

Offline Coby

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
  Wrong solution -- this is what the UIL has a problem with.  The solution is to get paid the 1204.  I agree that we should not have individual chapters negotiating rates.  Let the schools pay according to 1204.  No budget issues -- which is why this is a red herring issue.  If the 1204 rate is not enough, officials will not call.  But, again, UIL does not need to register officials to make this happen.

Agreed in principal.  Now if the schools do not pay accordingly then TASO does not service their school.  When they complain to the UIL we document everything (including incident reports) and tell UIL to fix it from the ISD end of things.  My main point is it is now Us vs Them.  They can not have their cake and eat it too.

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
We call varsity games out of my chapter for a 1A school about 25 miles from the Mexico border and about 100 miles from the chapter's city.  All season, they have been paying crews $45 for every varsity game, even though the stands are full.  A $45 check would mean they had gate receipts of less than $150.  How is this possible even when only 500 people show up to the game? (And that estimate is very much on the low side).  When the officials called and asked the Accounts Payable office, they were told that the coach told them to pay that much. 

Wait a minute.  Isn't there supposed to be an accounting of the gate?  This school is obviously cheating the officials, but do you think the UIL cares? 

Here's a thought, can anyone find in 1204 (old or new) the definition of "gate"?   Is there any mention to season ticket sales? 

Bottom line is we are spending way way way too much time accepting the premise that the budget problem is a legitimate topic.  The only "budget" issue is the UIL's (along with that little power trip thing)  but many here have "chewed on the carrot" that is it's a budget problem for the schools.  My dad was a superintendent, of course that was back in the day - but I can assure you he never sat at the table and used a pencil for anything like officiating fees - these guys work in macro mode.