Author Topic: Never Saw This Happen  (Read 2022 times)

Frank in FL

Never Saw This Happen
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »
Game last Friday for the District Championship.  Visitors are up by 6 with 2 minutes left.  4th and about 20 from the other teams 40 yard line.  Coaches are yelling for the punt team.  I signal ready for play and team lines up for punt.  I notice no punter deep.  I guess the center didn't either and he snapped the ball perfectly between the blockers.  Home team recovered, scored and kicked extra point for the win.  This is the same team that lined up for a try using the swinging gate.  After ready for play, coach decides to go for 2 and about 6 players enter and go to the ball and line up.  Only thing wrong is that the players in the swinging gate didn't leave and we had about 15 players on the field lined up.  OOPS.  Fans leaving the game weren't too happy with the coaching staff.  They were undeated coming into the game.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +29/-44
Re: Never Saw This Happen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »
So how does this team get to a District Championship game (except as spectators)?

KB

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:18:44 AM »
Maybe the got to the Championship Game through competent execution of solid, basic football, at which point the coaching staff thought they needed something different.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:19:27 AM »
Game last Friday for the District Championship.  Visitors are up by 6 with 2 minutes left.  4th and about 20 from the other teams 40 yard line.  Coaches are yelling for the punt team.  I signal ready for play and team lines up for punt.  I notice no punter deep.  I guess the center didn't either and he snapped the ball perfectly between the blockers.  Home team recovered, scored and kicked extra point for the win. 

Stupid as this sounds, it's not that far fetched, and can happen to anyone.  Almost happened to us earlier this year.  4th down, we call for punt team.  Punter's helmet had been damaged and he was getting it repaired, but didn't tell the staff he wasn't available, so back up didn't know he had to go in.  It's late in the 1st half, and we have no time outs left.  Punt team all gets into position, and there job is to look at the defense, not their own punter.  Thankfully, we are yelling enough from the sideline that we get the attention of the protector, and we take the delay penalty.  But we were about a second away from this happening to us.

This is the same team that lined up for a try using the swinging gate.  After ready for play, coach decides to go for 2 and about 6 players enter and go to the ball and line up.  Only thing wrong is that the players in the swinging gate didn't leave and we had about 15 players on the field lined up.  OOPS.  Fans leaving the game weren't too happy with the coaching staff.  They were undeated coming into the game.

The thing I can't figure out here is why they were changing personnel.  The whole purpose of ther swinging gate formation is so you can go for 2, or shift back and kick.  Why line up in a swinging gate, and then change personnel for a 2 pt conversion?

But, given that they were changing personnel, again, I can see how it happens, just not enough communication.

Frank in FL

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:42:37 AM »
In Florida district champs and runners up advance to the playoffs based on district play thru the season.  In some instances, regular season games become de facto championships because of records.  That's the case here.  Playoffs start next Friday the 19.  District champs play at home first round, and runners up travel.  In this case the runner up has to travel to the site of a powerhouse who has won the state championship in their division 3 years running.  We use 5 man crews first round (because of the sheer number of games) and 7 the rest of the playoffs.