Author Topic: 2012 Aloha Clinic Videos  (Read 16633 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
2012 Aloha Clinic Videos
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
Again this year, Refstripes.com is proud to be able to share the 2012 Aloha Clinic Videos thanks to the hard work and generosity of Matt Sumstine. THANK YOU, MATT!  tiphat:

The total size of all the videos is about 1.57 gigabytes.  Please be patient; it will probably take a while to download these files.

If you plan to watch these multiple times, or with a group, please download them once and either save them to your computer or to an external hard drive, or burn them to a CD. This will help control the amount of bandwidth used over the course of each month. I'll keep tabs on bandwidth usage and will purchase additional resources, if needed. But any help you can provide to maximize our resources is most appreciated!

If you have any questions about these videos, please post them in this thread (rather than having multiple threads going) so everyone will be able to follow along in a single location. All of the videos are .wmv files, and are viewable using Windows Media Player. 

If you would like to contribute to help perpetuate the Aloha Clinic and the production of these videos, please click this link:  DONATE HERE. The recommended donation is $25 for individuals and $250 for associations, but I'm certain any amount would be appreciated by Matt and his staff.

2012 Blocking Plays (124.8 MB)

2012 Catch or Incomplete (114.2 MB)

2012 Down, Fumble, Progress (115.3 MB)

2012 Free Kicks (134.2 MB)

2012 Goal Line (117.8 MB)

2012 Helmet Plays (135.4 MB)

2012 Holding Plays (129.1 MB)

2012 Line of Scrimmage (140.0 MB)

2012 Pass Interference (148.3 MB)

2012 Personal Fouls (183.7 MB)

2012 Scrimmage Kicks (223.3 MB)

Please let me know if you have any questions or any issues with the videos. I think everyone who has seen the previous versions of this material will agree these are an invaluable training tool. Enjoy!

FOCUS, CONCENTRATION AND COMMUNICATION... one down at a time!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:41:40 PM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: 2012 Aloha Clinic Videos
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
Cant wait to see all these, Matt. Thank you so much for doing this again.  eAt&

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
when will these be up on the Aloha site?
As I've said before, & will again:  these are wonderful &  invaluable.

The PF video: @+/-2:00:  hurdling call, w/ B's left hand on the ground?????
Rule 2-22
Perhaps for discussion: Did the hurdle start before B's hand went to the ground though.

???
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:02:23 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
Thanks again, Matt & Grant, for providing this invaluable resource.  Looking forward to using them to get better!

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 01:10:36 AM »
Just checking in to get some thoughts on the helmet video and how some of the hits may be considered flagrant. I would like to hear some feedback on the idea.

concordref

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
I amnot able to download these videos.  Do not know weather it is on my side or I am dong something wrong.  Help!

mbyron

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
I amnot able to download these videos.  Do not know weather it is on my side or I am dong something wrong.  Help!
You have to right-click (Ctrl-click for Mac) and select "Save as..." to download them to your local drive. They don't stream any longer.

concordref

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
Matt,
We just heard from our State Football boss   ( Dr. Bruce Maurer)and he has made this one of the main points for officials this year.  He stated that officials have to stop this hits to the head.  I just watched your video of them, I am going to strongly suggest that our local association rules guy, show this video to all of our members.  I just put a check in the mail to you to get  my own copy of videos.  Thanks again for putting them together for all of us officials to to help sharpen our on the field skills.  They are and always have been a great help to me and my crew.  Thanks again!

Offline Sumstine

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 02:19:49 AM »
FYI - All coaches and officials in the state of Hawaii have been informed that plays #4, 15, 16, 18 on the 2012 Aloha Clinic Helmet Video have been designated as DQ hits. They have all been informed that a very high percentage of what we consider flagrant live ball fouls include the following three conditions: 1) a defenseless player, 2) an upright player, 3) the person delivering the hit makes the choice and takes the option creating a violent helmet to helmet hit.

mbyron

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
FYI - All coaches and officials in the state of Hawaii have been informed that plays #4, 15, 16, 18 on the 2012 Aloha Clinic Helmet Video have been designated as DQ hits. They have all been informed that a very high percentage of what we consider flagrant live ball fouls include the following three conditions: 1) a defenseless player, 2) an upright player, 3) the person delivering the hit makes the choice and takes the option creating a violent helmet to helmet hit.
That's great, Matt, and I'm delighted that HI is backing your philosophy on these hits.

Right now, crews in our association will not DQ a player for anything short of prolonged fighting. I suspect that the state is going more aggressively in the direction of getting these dangerous hits out of the game (following the NFL and NCAA). We shall see.

I have told my crew that we need to be aware of the changing philosophy on IHC, but we will probably wait for explicit instruction from the state of the sort that you now have in HI before we start tossing kids for these hits.

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

#3 is the most important criterion to me.  In our state, a DQ also results in a $300 fine for the first offense.  I'd want to be sure it was intentional.

mbyron

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
#3 is the most important criterion to me.  In our state, a DQ also results in a $300 fine for the first offense.  I'd want to be sure it was intentional.
$300 even for a player? Wow.

IMO that penalty for a DQ is excessive. AL should rethink that penalty, which no doubt prevents many officials from righteous DQ's.

If I were a suspicious mind, I would think some coach set that up to make officials think 3 times before a DQ!

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
$300 even for a player? Wow.

IMO that penalty for a DQ is excessive. AL should rethink that penalty, which no doubt prevents many officials from righteous DQ's.

If I were a suspicious mind, I would think some coach set that up to make officials think 3 times before a DQ!

Well, it has led to a rather dramatic drop in DQs.  But from my experience in three sports, I believe it has very little to do with the mindset of the officials, and much more to do with giving a coach pause to reflect on what his actions might cost him.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
Regarding DQ:
In FL, the school's first DQ is (I believe) $100; then $250 (I believe) for each DQ that follows for the remainder of the school year - no matter what sport.
Additionally, the State will also make the DQ'ed person sit out between 1-6 weeks, depending on the severity.
For the most part, the school then passes the fine along to the offender & if the offender does not pay, they hold their records, etc.
I may be wrong, but I think that if a player DQed also means the Coach has to sit out at least a week too.
Per the State's statistics, last I saw boys soccer has the most DQ of any sport for FL.

Quite frankly, I don't really keep up with this stuff I cited.  If someone is DQed, we write a report to the State & the State will hash it out with the School.

Offline Sumstine

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
The fine system sounds like good intent gone astray. Once you place a fine on a player or school it takes the focus off of the person who fouled and on the institution, coach or parent.

We are heading down a path not applicable in most sports. We are talking about an ejection as a result of a type of contact and not fighting or unsportsmanlike conduct.  The best path to curbing the high hit on a defenseless player is education and enforcement. We need to explain to the coaches, players, parents and officials what will be called as a flagrant foul. When they happen, they need to be called and the player removed from the game.

In one of our leagues the ejected player is also ineligible to play in the following game even if it's the next year. If he is ejected a second time he is ineligible to play for a calendar year in all sports. I like this system because it puts all of the repercussions on the player.  On a side note, if there is film of the play there is an appeal process.

However managed, education and consistency is the key.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:26:10 PM by Sumstine »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
good points Matt.
Additionally, I should say for FL: the fines, sitting out weeks, etc. are for USC ejections.

Offline dcbarisax1

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • D1 NWAFOA Line Judge
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
Here's a tip; don't try to download them at work!  My IT guy called and cussed me worse than a coach for chewing up the bandwidth! LOL^no
Read, Recognize, React.