Author Topic: RO gaffs (in my opinion)  (Read 4551 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NTXRef

  • *
  • Posts: 162
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
RO gaffs (in my opinion)
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
Hadn't been on here in a while, and was looking for discussion threads on RO calls in both the Ohio St. / Michigan game and Iron Bowl that had me scratching my head.  But, I didn't see any, so here is a belated thread.

Michigan QB goes down on both knees, bounces, and ball comes out and ruled a fumble which Ohio St. recovers.  The view that we were shown makes it appear that the ball didn't come out until after the bounce, but it comes back as "confirmed".  At a minimum, it should have "stands" if not overturned.  Big call.

Ohio St. running back dives for pylon and hits a hand OOB in process.   Ball was called down nearly a yard short.  Replay showed that the ball was right at GL when hand hit.  I thought he actually touched the goalline and worst case a couple of inches short.  Call comes back as "confirmed" leaving the ball about 2 1/2 feet short.

In Iron Bowl, both teams had dives to the pylon which were called TD's live, but both overturned which in my opinion wasn't warranted. 

All 3 pylon dives scored on the next play, so no big impact.  Fumble call was huge impact.

Did anybody have problems with any or all of these calls.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to video.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

  • *
  • Posts: 1010
  • FAN REACTION: +21/-6
Re: RO gaffs (in my opinion)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
I didn't see the fumble play you're talking about but I agree with you on the goal line plays.

Offline SouthGARef

  • *
  • Posts: 270
  • FAN REACTION: +10/-16
Re: RO gaffs (in my opinion)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
Agreed on all three. I would've been okay with a "play stands" on the Michigan play but I thought there was enough there to overturn.

The goal line reversals infuriated me. I can only imagine how the guys on the field feel. Work that hard to get two very difficult plays correct, only to get incorrectly overturned by replay. I'd be steamed.

Offline bama_stripes

  • *
  • Posts: 3196
  • FAN REACTION: +126/-29
Re: RO gaffs (in my opinion)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 05:30:30 AM »
All 3 pylon dives scored on the next play, so no big impact.

Unless you consider the clock time that was consumed by having to run another play to score.

Offline Rulesman

  • Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3839
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: RO gaffs (in my opinion)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Unless you consider the clock time that was consumed by having to run another play to score.
And we all know how the clock came into play at the end...  ;D
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi