Author Topic: Uncommonly enforced rules  (Read 18776 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Uncommonly enforced rules
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »
One of the most uncommonly enforced rules in my opinion is illegal equipment.  Normally if we see a player with incorrect eye black, play card on belt, wearing wristbands high on his arms or on his legs we just send them out instead of banging the head coach for 15 like rule 9 says.
Our job in pre-game should be looking for items such as these. Once we've met with both coaches, a walk thru of the teams should catch these and correct before the game. Preventive officiating will add to a smoother game.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
One of the most uncommonly enforced rules in my opinion is illegal equipment.  Normally if we see a player with incorrect eye black, play card on belt, wearing wristbands high on his arms or on his legs we just send them out instead of banging the head coach for 15 like rule 9 says.

There is a difference between wearing legal equipment improperly and using illegal equipment. We don't "bang the coach" with 15 for the former, only for the latter..
The examples you listed are all legal equipment being worn improperly. The proper procedure is just what you suggest, we just send them out.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
Our job in pre-game should be looking for items such as these. Once we've met with both coaches, a walk thru of the teams should catch these and correct before the game. Preventive officiating will add to a smoother game.
I agree about looking for these problems during warmups, and we’ve done this for a long time.

Unfortunately, over the last couple of years, we’re seeing more and more teams that warm up with no pads and/or game jerseys on, and only come out in full unis for the coin toss.  Some home teams even do their warmups on their practice field.

Anyone else seeing this?

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2021, 05:08:15 PM »
Calhoun refer to 9-8-1h which refers to 1-5-3 particularly paragraph c.  Ralph I agree we do a pregame walkthrough but as bama said what they wear in warmups isn’t always what they come a running out to the field with.

Had a game where in warmups not one kid had eyeblack, they must have used 4 sticks before they hit the field.  Had to repeat several times wipe that off before kickoff, down to a single stripe.
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2021, 05:54:03 AM »
Calhoun refer to 9-8-1h which refers to 1-5-3 particularly paragraph c.  Ralph I agree we do a pregame walkthrough but as bama said what they wear in warmups isn’t always what they come a running out to the field with.

Had a game where in warmups not one kid had eyeblack, they must have used 4 sticks before they hit the field.  Had to repeat several times wipe that off before kickoff, down to a single stripe.

Yeah, my bad. I spend so little time in the equipment/uniform sections that I should have kept my fingers off the keyboard. In retrospect, you are correct. I certainly don't bang the coach with 15 because his players come out with their playcards on their belts. I just send them off.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »

Way back when, before the rules were changed to require the HC to certify that all players were properly equipped (and be responsible for players being improperly equipped NFHS: 1-6-4) it was standard practice for the Umpire to check player equipment, during the warmup period, including having both teams kneel on the field to check the legality of cleats.  Shifting that responsibility to the HC removed the necessity of individually checking everyone, although it's still a practical idea, to avoid later problems as suggested, to observe players during the warm-up period for obvious equipment problems ( Lack of required pads, uncovered knees, uniform adornments/problems, etc.).

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2021, 10:12:49 AM »
I agree about looking for these problems during warmups, and we’ve done this for a long time.

Unfortunately, over the last couple of years, we’re seeing more and more teams that warm up with no pads and/or game jerseys on, and only come out in full unis for the coin toss.  Some home teams even do their warmups on their practice field.

Anyone else seeing this?

Have not seen it to this extreme here in Illinois, but we do see players warming up with pants pulled up above the knee (most of the WRs and DBs) and back pads uncovered by the jersey.

After we get rid of all the bicep/calf bands, we try to confront the players wearing "shorts" to show us their knees are covered when the pants are worn properly. My line in this situation is "This is your only warning- if I see you on the field without your knees covered you are going right off." And I hope to be doing that within earshot of the position coach working with them.

Had a kid with multiple bicep bands last week, and when I told him "You need to take those off" he immediately shot back with "Why?" His coach was right there and thankfully said "You don't need to know why just do it!"  :D

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2021, 06:49:54 AM »

Anyone else seeing this?

We had a team last week came out pregame with athletic shorts, jerseys (no pads) and helmets. I think it was a first for me