Author Topic: 2010 NCAA Practice Tests  (Read 47159 times)

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
Re: 2010 NCAA Practice Tests
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »
#81:

Back A24 throws a backward pass and it happens to roll out of bounds at the A31.  net gain is 11 yards versus the 5 yard DOF foul.  Decline foul,  A-1-10-A31

Thank you, I had to find it in the rule book to find out why I was wrong.  7.2.4.a.

Offline mwa

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
Test 1 Question 29 A 1st/10/A42
I have A 1st/10/A38  Fifteen yds for block below waist by A88 enforced from A38 then the 15 yard deadball UNS by B55.  What am I missing?

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »
Test #2 Q#103: The score is good, I think the KO is at B’s 40.

Test #2 Q#113 & #114: These seem worded as live ball fouls. Enforce from spot of foul.
I've looked in rule 9.1.3, but it does not seem to help.

Test #2 Q#123: Should be at A43.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »
Question # 89:  Third-and-Five on B6.  Back A24 runs to the B3 where B57 strips the ball from him.  The ball rolls into the end zone.  While the ball is loose in the end zone, A83 pulls B33 out of the way in a personal attempt to recover the ball, but A83 muffs the ball over the end line where it hits the end zone wall.  The Umpire thought A83 had recovered the ball so he blew his whistle while the ball was rolling in the end zone and just before the ball went over the end line.  After a conference, officials award the ball to Team A at the B3 yard line.  The Replay Officials stops play to review.

I know this one has been discussed already but now I have two conflicting answer keys that were recently sent out.

Answer Key 1:  Ruling A 4&2  B3   or A 3 & 5 B6.

Answer Key 2:  Ruling B 1&10 B20

There is no way that answer key 2 is correct.  Does everyone agree?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »
Question 63:  Fourth-and-Goal on B8.  The score is tied with three seconds remaining in the game. On an attempted field goal from the B15, B47 runs from the B11, jumps, and blocks the kick.  B47 then lands on B74 on the line of scrimmage.  The ball rolls to the B20 where B1 recovers and runs to the A10.  Time expired on the play.

Answer Key:  A 1&G B4 Extend.

How's that?  The line of scrimmage is the B8.  B47 runs from the B11, jumps and blocks, then lands on B74.  How is this a foul?  B47 jumped from behind the neutral zone, not beyond it.  I have B 1 & 10 A10.  End of Qtr.  Move to Extra Periods.

Rule reference 9-1-2-n:  No defensive player who runs
forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral
zone in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any
player(s).

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
Jason, as written I agree with you. I suspect the play was intended to have the B player running from the B1. How else would he land on another player at the LOS? Good pick up on the correct rule.

Offline 6310 Forever

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Back when I did the test, I assumed the starting point for B47 was the B1 and not the B11 as written.  If it were the B11, we would have shut this down for a DOF!

RMAC Deep Guy

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Question # 89:  Third-and-Five on B6.  Back A24 runs to the B3 where B57 strips the ball from him.  The ball rolls into the end zone.  While the ball is loose in the end zone, A83 pulls B33 out of the way in a personal attempt to recover the ball, but A83 muffs the ball over the end line where it hits the end zone wall.  The Umpire thought A83 had recovered the ball so he blew his whistle while the ball was rolling in the end zone and just before the ball went over the end line.  After a conference, officials award the ball to Team A at the B3 yard line.  The Replay Officials stops play to review.

I know this one has been discussed already but now I have two conflicting answer keys that were recently sent out.

Answer Key 1:  Ruling A 4&2  B3   or A 3 & 5 B6.

Answer Key 2:  Ruling B 1&10 B20

There is no way that answer key 2 is correct.  Does everyone agree?

Jason,

Answer key 2 is the correct answer.  The explanation that I received is that Rule 12 takes precedence over rules pertaining to IWs.  Replay officials do not listen to the sounds of the game, the IW in this case, they only look at the visual aspects of a play.  Given that, the replay official will see that team A is responsible for the ball going out of team B's end zone and thus award the ball to team B after the touchback. 

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
Jason,

Answer key 2 is the correct answer.  The explanation that I received is that Rule 12 takes precedence over rules pertaining to IWs.  Replay officials do not listen to the sounds of the game, the IW in this case, they only look at the visual aspects of a play.  Given that, the replay official will see that team A is responsible for the ball going out of team B's end zone and thus award the ball to team B after the touchback. 

Replay only got involved because the Umpire thought that A83 had recovered it.  After review it was determined that A83 did not recover it but that the ball was loose.  What does that leave us with?  IW.  Once it is determined that this ball was still loose during the time it was being ruled dead, IW rules do kick in.  So now we let team B choose to either enforce the penalty or let team A have its options with the IW.  With replay we can allow a catch or recovery of a loose ball if it occurs in the immediate action following the whistle, but the rules do not state that we can allow a touchback in that same manner. 

RMAC Deep Guy

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 11:44:39 PM »
Replay only got involved because the Umpire thought that A83 had recovered it.  After review it was determined that A83 did not recover it but that the ball was loose.  What does that leave us with?  IW.  Once it is determined that this ball was still loose during the time it was being ruled dead, IW rules do kick in.  So now we let team B choose to either enforce the penalty or let team A have its options with the IW.  With replay we can allow a catch or recovery of a loose ball if it occurs in the immediate action following the whistle, but the rules do not state that we can allow a touchback in that same manner. 

Believe me, I had a hard time with this as well when the powers that be explained the answer. 
True, replay got involved because of the loose ball.  However, the scope of the replay is not limited to whether or not A83 recovers or not.  replay will see the ball go over the end line, and award the TB.  IW rules are not under the scope of the replay rules.  The way it was explained to us is that the RO does not have audio capabilities in the booth, or are they wanted, so the fact that the whistle blew would not come into play.  Perhaps the best way to think about a review with an IW involved is to treat it like IW situations with a foul.  Proceed as if the IW never happened.

we were told that they would be soliciting RR and Perry for clarification on whether or not rule 12 did indeed take precedence in this situation.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Believe me, I had a hard time with this as well when the powers that be explained the answer. 
True, replay got involved because of the loose ball.  However, the scope of the replay is not limited to whether or not A83 recovers or not.  replay will see the ball go over the end line, and award the TB.  IW rules are not under the scope of the replay rules.  The way it was explained to us is that the RO does not have audio capabilities in the booth, or are they wanted, so the fact that the whistle blew would not come into play.  Perhaps the best way to think about a review with an IW involved is to treat it like IW situations with a foul.  Proceed as if the IW never happened.

we were told that they would be soliciting RR and Perry for clarification on whether or not rule 12 did indeed take precedence in this situation.

I can agree with the audio portion, but as our mechanics state we use the "dead ball" signal as well so the RO would have a visual reference that the play is being ruled dead.  Whistles and signals are both forms of IW's when they are given when they shouldn't be given.  Another problem I have is that the rules state that during a play in which the runner is ruled dead, but replay shows it was a fumble.  If it is clear in the immediate action following the ruling that it was dead, they will allow the recovery.  If it is not clear as to who recovered the ruling that the ball was dead will stand.   If it's not recovered in the immediate action, then it isn't even reviewable the way I read the rule.  So, if that is the same section of the rules to use regarding the ball going over the end line, my thoughts are that there wasn't a recovery so either we use IW's process, enforce the penalty, or ball is dead where it was originally ruled dead by the umpire.  The powers that be may have explained it but for those of us who haven't been "officially" informed, all we have to go by is the rule book.

RMAC Deep Guy

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »

I can agree with the audio portion, but as our mechanics state we use the "dead ball" signal as well so the RO would have a visual reference that the play is being ruled dead.  Whistles and signals are both forms of IW's when they are given when they shouldn't be given.  Another problem I have is that the rules state that during a play in which the runner is ruled dead, but replay shows it was a fumble.  If it is clear in the immediate action following the ruling that it was dead, they will allow the recovery.  If it is not clear as to who recovered the ruling that the ball was dead will stand.   If it's not recovered in the immediate action, then it isn't even reviewable the way I read the rule.  So, if that is the same section of the rules to use regarding the ball going over the end line, my thoughts are that there wasn't a recovery so either we use IW's process, enforce the penalty, or ball is dead where it was originally ruled dead by the umpire.  The powers that be may have explained it but for those of us who haven't been "officially" informed, all we have to go by is the rule book.

In this situation, the RO is going to see that the ball was not recovered by A in the endzone but muffed over the endline and award the touchback.  Since this play happened so close to the end line, replay would be able to get involved just the same as if it were an immediate recovery.   I see what you are saying about the dead ball signal.  There is no mention of a signal in the question.  I will try and get clarification about how replay would handle this if they indeed see a dead ball signal before the ball crosses the end line. 

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »
This is #148

Fourth-and-Six on B47. B1 catches the punt at the B8 and during the return B42 holds A32 at the B22. A38 tackles B1 by the face mask at the B32 causing B1 to fumble the ball at the B34. A59 recovers the ball at the B35.

Answer Key:  B 1&10 at B-12 or  A 4 &6 at B-47.

Question:  How can B 1&10 at B-12 be an option here?  The penalties offset in this situation. 

Offline 6310 Forever

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
10-1-4 Exception ("Clean Hands Principle") says B can keep the ball by declining A's penalty and having theirs enforced or accept offsetting fouls and re-kick (clock on snap).

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
10-1-4 Exception ("Clean Hands Principle") says B can keep the ball by declining A's penalty and having theirs enforced or accept offsetting fouls and re-kick (clock on snap).

Team A is the team in possession when the down ends.  Since team A fouled prior to last gaining possession they do not have "clean hands" so we offset.

Offline 6310 Forever

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 07:30:24 AM »
There 'ya go!  Thanks, Jason.

ret66482

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »
Haven't seen any replies to MWA reference below.  I agree with him and would like to know why the IBW was not enforced from A38 Moving back to 23.  Then the dead ball foul by B55 brings ball back to A38 with B55 being ejected. ???

I have A 1st/10/A38  Fifteen yds for block below waist by A88 enforced from A38 then the 15 yard deadball UNS by B55.  What am I missing?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
Haven't seen any replies to MWA reference below.  I agree with him and would like to know why the IBW was not enforced from A38 Moving back to 23.  Then the dead ball foul by B55 brings ball back to A38 with B55 being ejected. ???

I agree.  The end of the run is behind the spot of the foul.  We'll penalize from the end of the run the A38.  15 yards then move right back up 15 yards for the dead ball foul.

Offline WVRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »
Has anyone seen any 'official' (no pun intended) answer keys for these yet?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »
Has anyone seen any 'official' (no pun intended) answer keys for these yet?

I just sent them to your email.

ret66482

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
Test 1, Question 3:
A 3&1 at B45.  Running Back A22 runs with the ball on a sweep play toward the Team B sideline.  At the B30, just before he is tackled at the B28, a Team B squad member reaches from out of bounds and contacts B22.

On the "OFFICIAL" Answer key it has: B 1/10 B15 - this is incorrect. 

My answer is to either award Team A a TD if no other B player between A22 and goal or A 1/10 B14.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
On the "OFFICIAL" Answer key it has: B 1/10 B15 - this is incorrect. 

Umm, this is obviously false, as there is no way in hell team B would get the ball as this is a third down (ignoring the fact that a team B foul happens beyond the LTG). It can't be a simple team A/B confusion, as it's a basic spot foul, so the normal distance penalty should be from the end of the related run, like you said - and a TD is a distinct possibility, too.

Offline Hawkeye

• FAN REACTION: +17/-2
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »
Sonofanump, thanks for your thoughts on my answer to #16 on Test 1.  If you look at the question again, B15 blocks A83 in the back to keep him from recovering the ball.  B15 is not trying to reach a runner or legally attempt to recover the kick.  If he were trying to do either, then the BIB is legal.  That's why I went with IBB, 10-yards PSK enforcement.  Make sense?

Except B15 signaled for a fair catch so his block is a 15 yard penalty so it should be B 1/10 @ B-16 (6-5-4)

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2010, 12:19:16 AM »
Test #1

5. A 2&15 at A10. Wide Receiver A88 leaps to catch a legal forward pass near the sideline at the A45. While A88 is airborne safety B28 jumps and they jointly control the ball while both are still in the air. A88’s right foot lands in bounds at the A45 just before just before B28’s left foot lands out of bounds at the A46. Both A88 and B28 fall to the ground in joint control of the ball at the A47 with neither touching out of bounds again.

I see this as A 1/10 @ A-47.  This is not a simultaneous catch since A88 came to the ground first (see AR 7-3-6-III), A88 is in possession of the ball when he contacts a player OB, which does not make the ball dead (4-2-1-a), so the ball is still in play and A88 goes down at the A-47.  I know it says they are in joint control, but this is just like any A player running with the ball and a B player grabs the ball but never gets it away from the A player and they both go down, we give the A player his full progress to the ground.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
I have a few more questions:

#24.  I think you went the wrong way shouldn't it be A 2/21 @ A-20.

#27. A 2&6 at B35. QB A1 has to scramble and is at the B34 when he throws a touchdown to A88 in the Team B end zone. Time in the second quarter expires on the play.

Why are you extending on this?  This is an illegal forward pass, 5 yards plus loss of down (7-3-2-a) so we will not extend 3-2-3-a-1

#39. A 1&10 B15. Running back A32 runs to the B6 where he fumbles the ball as he is being tackled. The ball bounces into the air and B45 recovers the ball at the B2 with his momentum taking him into the Team B end zone. B45 fumbles the ball from the end zone into the field where it is recovered by B55 at the B8. While the ball was loose following B45’s fumble B23 clipped at the B6.

We have a change of possession in the field of play and the related run ends in the endzone.  ME is not in effect here because the ball did not become dead in the EZ, so the basic spot is the goallline and enforcement makes the result a safety. 10-2-2-d-2-b, 10-2-2-c-2, 8-5-1-b

#41. A 3&8 at B45. Before the ball is snapped a Team A member in uniform steps onto the field two yards from the sideline and requests a time out from the Side Judge.

What is the foul here?  I just have "request denied, get off the field kid!".

Thanks.