Author Topic: UIL Hats...to wear or not to wear, that is the argument.  (Read 96507 times)

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
Re: UIL Hats...to wear or not to wear, that is the argument.
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2010, 08:33:49 PM »
Tyler using 7 man in Trinity game.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2010, 09:10:47 PM »
I am sorry but I don't see how wearing a hat makes anyone spineless...I assure you this crew has nothing to gain or lose by wearing or not wearing that hat.
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline texref (TX)

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
The problem lies in that the mechanics manual we use and apply to all officials says there is to be not emblems or numbers on the hat. We let that slide, what else do we let slide? The only thing the Houston and Dallas crews gained is a greater respect from those officials who chose to follow the rules.

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
While I understand and respect your opinion. Did you take the same stand when officials wore pink ribbons or pink whistles in support of breast cancer awareness. I don't like the hats either. but what your doing is taking something harmless like wearing a hat with a patch on it to divide Larger Chapters against the Smaller Ones, Just the kind of divide and conqure that some people would love to see.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »
I used to think that was a goal of those in Austin, to make this a large chapter versus small chapter deal.  But I don't think that serves them well.  If they do not get Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin on board, they can get every other Chapter in the state and still not be able to function.   

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2010, 11:15:24 PM »
How great a call is it when it was totally away from the play and the QB never even looked that way?
my view at the game looked like the QB looked his way first but the defense had him on the collar so he went the other way.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2010, 06:33:03 AM »

^flag

Ornery, I only hope that if you choose to go to church this morning, that you take a copy of this latest post of yours and discuss it with your pastor and see if he gives you some form of concurence in the presentation of your opinions. If you don't do that, then I seriously think that you need some counseling. We all know that you hold a deep grudge against TASO, but you're doing it in such a way that not even your chosen mentor, Dr. Breithaupt, would even begin to offer approval to. For your own sake, try to get yourself some much needed help!   z^
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:33:49 PM by Grant - AR »

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2010, 07:05:16 AM »
 ^flag

Kudos to my officiating brethren in Houston and in Dallas/FW who correctly and judiciously followed the precepts of the mechanics manual and did not wear the hat with the UIL logo.

I was at Cowboys Stadium yesterday and while seeing that my fellow Houston Chapter crew did not wear the hat, the crew of officials for the second game did. And to further reinforce things, the chain crew for that second game was walking out donning some of the UIL hats. Would these have been perhaps the very same UIL hats that the Houston Chapter crew adamantly refused to wear in their game?   z^

Offline gigmax

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
The houston crew was told that if they didn't wear the hats they probably take them back.they chose not to wear them and one of the officials stuck the hat in his bag.  During the course of the game, someone went through his bag and took the hay back.  The uil is real trust worthy.  Ornery,jealousy is not a good look for you.  might I suggest you take up officiating volleyball.  Maybe you could reach the level of success you will never achieve in football.  I doubt it though.  Sad!

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
The houston crew was told that if they didn't wear the hats they probably take them back.they chose not to wear them and one of the officials stuck the hat in his bag.  During the course of the game, someone went through his bag and took the hay back.  The uil is real trust worthy.  Ornery,jealousy is not a good look for you.  might I suggest you take up officiating volleyball.  Maybe you could reach the level of success you will never achieve in football.  I doubt it though.  Sad!

^flag

Now that is really one ethical act! Who would have had access to the Cowboy Stadium officials locker room other than the game officials? Someone from the UIL perhaps? From your report, it appears that the hats were, in fact, "given" to the Houston officials but sometime during their absence from the locker room, the said hats that had been placed in the officials bags by the game officials somehow just up and walked away! Did Mr. Timmons or any other UIL personnel that was present have some kind of a skeleton key to that particular locker room?

While initially sounding a little bit like pilfering, the greater concern here is that some individual or individuals broke the sanctity of and entered that officials locker room and thereby, in all probability, is guilty of breaking and entering. This should have been immediately reported to Cowboy Stadium Security as well as the local policing authority which was the City of Arlington PD. Someone really needs to be asked some hard and pointed questions about this most unfortunate occurence!   z^
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:47:43 AM by arbitrator »

WABill

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
Watched all 5 games this weekend at Cowboys Stadium and 4 of the 5 decided to wear the hats, it just shows that they are acting like a bunch of horses BUTTS.

FIFY

rustheump

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
Dallas official had a under armor on side of his hat, was he in proper uniform

Offline texref (TX)

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
Dallas official had a under armor on side of his hat, was he in proper uniform

No, he was not inproger uniform if he had "any" emblem or number on his cap.

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2010, 05:12:37 PM »
Oh no...   :!#. Put he and all the hat wearers in TASO jail.  

Similarly anyone with off white knickers, the new 'moisture' wicking shirts which are not 'mesh', and anyone who used a blue beanbag should be locked away...

I would wager that most of the folks labeling other officials spineless and cowards would be the real spinless ones when presented the ability to say that to any of their faces...  Give it a rest..

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
I was more disturbed with the mechanics the Waco crew was using on the kickoff.  I have never seen it done before and it is not in any mechanics manual I have ever seen.

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
I was more disturbed with the mechanics the Waco crew was using on the kickoff.  I have never seen it done before and it is not in any mechanics manual I have ever seen.

The Houston crew used onside kick mechanics for all kick offs.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
There is nothing that prevents a crew from using short free kick mechanics on all kickoffs.  And with all the pooch kicking going on these days, it might be a better alternative than the traditional KO mechanics. This is an area the mechanics committee needs to look at this Spring

refereebrent

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
We went to using short free kick mechanics exclusively this season and loved it.
Mike and several other crews in the chapter do it all the time. I am comfortable being back there deep by myself and knw my guys up front are ready for anything that could be challenging.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
As Brent said, short kick mechanics for all kick offs are utilized by quite a few crews in the Houston chapter.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30:31 PM »
Same is true in Dallas.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
I have no problem with short kick mechanics.  For those that didn't see the Waco crew.  If the kick was to the LJ side, the R would move to the numbers instead of staying on the sideline.  The LJ would do the same when the ball was kicked to the R's side.  On one kick the LJ came to the numbers and then the kick returner reversed directions and the LJ had to retreat to get out of the way.  It's hard to officiate when you are retreating.  I saw no benefit in what they were doing.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »
I think my crew chief said we're going to the so-called short kick mechanics on everything as well. We have fast wings and he likes being in the middle of the field -- feels like we miss some things due to bad angles.

How about another short kick mechanic where the BJ or U is behind the kicking team, the other is on the K's restraining line, and the wings are on the R's restraining line on obvious onside situations? Puts someone close in the middle of the field to rule on possession when the guys on the sideline don't have a good angle. Gives up the other side of K's restraining line for possible offsides call, as well as isolating one official on a sideline.

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:43 AM »
never been sure why we have two for K's line and just 1 for R's seems to me that if we only  have one watch that 1 is better able to watch k's R's is much harder for one official to watch far sideline on short kick for first touching.

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:36 PM »
My problem with short kick mechanics all the time, is how do you cover the pylons?  It is impossible.   Also, any deep kicks are then tough to get FP as everybody is up around the kicker.   IMO short kick mechanics should only be used if the pouch/short kick is exclusively used, and you can't decide that until the game has started.   I for one and not a fan of short all of the time that several crews (with new mechanics blessing) has gone to.  We will not be going to this choice in my crew.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2010, 04:42:25 AM »
Pwerhaps it is diff in your area but the pylon is threatened on far fewer KOs than are there incidents where having 4 up can help.