Author Topic: Handing the Ball Forward  (Read 914 times)

Offline okhall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Handing the Ball Forward
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
In a 6 man game, the receiver A1 caught the ball and advanced down the field for a first down.  When he was being tackled he threw the ball forward to a teammate.  The ball hit the ground and then the teammate picked it up.  The official threw his flag and blew his whistle to stop the action.  What is the ruling for this act?  We were lucky because the game was over and the act didn't matter and the official close to the ball put the ball in the air, ending the game.  But if it happened in the middle of a close game, I want to know what the ruling is.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
Re: Handing the Ball Forward
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
In a 6 man game, the receiver A1 caught the ball and advanced down the field for a first down.  When he was being tackled he threw the ball forward to a teammate.  The ball hit the ground and then the teammate picked it up.  The official threw his flag and blew his whistle to stop the action.  What is the ruling for this act?  We were lucky because the game was over and the act didn't matter and the official close to the ball put the ball in the air, ending the game.  But if it happened in the middle of a close game, I want to know what the ruling is.

He threw the ball forward (didn't hand it), so we have an illegal forward pass. Once the IFP hits the ground, it is now incomplete. The referee correctly blew the play dead. Hopefully he gave an incomplete signal as well. IFP is a loss of down penalty which means there is no extension of period, i.e. game over.

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
The highlighted statement implies that the runner threw an Illegal Forward Pass. When the IFP hit the ground, it is treated as an incomplete pass and the down is over. The enforcement spot is 5 yards from the spot where the IFP was thrown.
Since you indicate time expired durring the down, the game is over and the period is not extended due to the LOD aspect of the foul.
However, if this play happened with time on the clock the foul would be enforce as follows:  If the ball is beyond the LTG, it is 1st & 10 Snap Clock. If the enforcement leaves the ball behind the LTG, the down is not replayed and it will be the the next down Snap Clock.

VA Official ... Not walking on your post, I'm just a slow search & peck typist

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +328/-27
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
This is a good example of why an illegal forward pass is enforced as a running play. A goes 30 yards beyond LOS and pitches ball forward which is dropped= incomplete pass = basic spot, end of run = end of run, where illegal forward pass was thrown not LOS.