Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Texas Topics / Re: PROP Approved Rules changes - now we wait for the UIL
« Last post by ElvisLives on May 16, 2024, 08:58:01 PM »

This part doesn’t make sense to me from a “Why?” stand point. If a player starts at 2 yards standing up and hits a lineman, how is that more safe than a player starting on the line hitting a back? And how is it safer than starting on the line and hitting a lineman?

Don’t get me started. I’m just trying to mitigate the ambiguities in the rule we are getting, and make it as ‘black and white’ as possible, so we can all officiate it consistently.
This will be covered in the Webinar on Wednesday. Tune in.
IMHO, the question here should be DID the muff by B caused the ball into and out of A's end zone.

IMHO, if the ball was bouncing away from tthe end zone or nearly at rest when muffed by B = touchback

IMHO, if the ball was bouncing toward the end zone when muffed by B = safety

IMHO, A was the fault of the loose ball, they shouldn't be rewarded by giving them a new series via a touchback.

IMHO, Celtics are on a roll, Bruins are hanging on and unsure about the Red Sox.  tR:oLl
I'm going to go out on a limb and say safety...by rule. A was in team possession when the ball went through the end zone and across the end line.

And what rule is that?  2.13.2 pretty clearly says otherwise?
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on May 16, 2024, 02:33:04 PM »
And B players more than 1 yard off their line are not restricted.

This part doesn’t make sense to me from a “Why?” stand point. If a player starts at 2 yards standing up and hits a lineman, how is that more safe than a player starting on the line hitting a back? And how is it safer than starting on the line and hitting a lineman?
National Federation Discussion / Re: Question about Force after an errant snap.
« Last post by SCHSref on May 16, 2024, 01:53:06 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say safety...by rule. A was in team possession when the ball went through the end zone and across the end line.
Agree with bama_stripes here.  This cannot be considered a valid T/F question as this is a 100% judgement call owned by the covering official(s).
This is a terrible T/F question, since it involves judgement on the part of the covering official.
« Last post by Fatso on May 16, 2024, 07:57:32 AM »
How is it treated differently? You must judge if the ball would have gone into the EZ from the snap or a new(different) force was applied.
Several players muff the ball before it enters the end zone.  I imagine the snap itself would not have gone into the end zone if not muffed but the question isn't clear. 

2.13.1 says "After a fumble, kick, or backward pass has been grounded, a new force may result from a bat, an illegal kick or a muff."  If B was the last to muff it in field of play then wouldn't the result be a touchback (if a snap is a backward pass)?  The T/F answer on the test was "Touchback if B was last to muff before the bouncing ball went into the end zone".  I put T but was incorrect.  According to the test, that muff by B was not a new force.
« Last post by sczeebra on May 15, 2024, 06:32:41 PM »
How is it treated differently? You must judge if the ball would have gone into the EZ from the snap or a new(different) force was applied.

« Last post by Zebra Watcher on May 15, 2024, 04:03:45 PM »
Thank you ElvisLives for doing all this work to clarify UIL's own wording of their rules. A major help.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10